Members of our working group are also part of the University Hospital’s infection control team, whose duties comprise, among others, surveillance of hospital associated pathogens and management of nosocomial outbreaks. Despite its focus on routine services, infection control offers plenty of opportunities for academic research:
- Exploration and implementation of hospital-wide strategies for the use of rapid molecular screening tests for MRSA
- Assessment of MRSA spread within health care facilities to inform decontamination/eradication efforts
- Description of outbreaks by unusual nosocomial pathogens
- Development of reporting systems for the timely communication of aberrations in the occurrence of selected hospital associated pathogens
- Elias, J., Findlow, J., Borrow, R., Tremmel, A., Frosch, M., and Vogel, U. (2013) Persistence of antibodies in laboratory staff immunized with quadrivalent meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine, Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology8, 4.
- Elias, J., Heuschmann, P. U., Schmitt, C., Eckhardt, F., Boehm, H., Maier, S., Kolb-Mäurer, A., Riedmiller, H., Müllges, W., Weisser, C., Wunder, C., Frosch, M., and Vogel, U. (2013) Prevalence dependent calibration of a predictive model for nasal carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, BMC Infectious Diseases13, 111.
- Moremi, N., Mshana, S. E., Kamugisha, E., Kataraihya, J., Tappe, D., Vogel, U., Lyamuya, E. F., and Claus, H. (2012) Predominance of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus -ST88 and new ST1797 causing wound infection and abscesses, Journal of infection in developing countries6, 620--625.
- Schaumburg, F., Köck, R., Mellmann, A., Richter, L., Hasenberg, F., Kriegeskorte, A., Friedrich, A. W., Gatermann, S., Peters, G., von Eiff, C., Becker, K., and group, study. (2012) Population dynamics among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates in Germany during a 6-year period, Journal of clinical microbiology50, 3186--3192.
- Eibicht, S. J., and Vogel, U. (2011) Meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) contamination of ambulance cars after short term transport of MRSA-colonised patients is restricted to the stretcher, The Journal of Hospital Infection78, 221--225.
- Elias, J., Schoen, C., Heinze, G., Valenza, G., Gerharz, E., Gerharz, H., and Vogel, U. (2010) Nosocomial outbreak of VIM-2 metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa associated with retrograde urography, Clinical Microbiology and Infection: The Official Publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases16, 1494--1500.